Welcome to our ranch near Canada's west coast in Beautiful British Columbia's West Chilcotin mountain region. Where calling the vet means hollering back at the house to bring your kit, new friendships are formed from the back of a horse and true fun for a five year old is getting a machete for Christmas. Where 'cutting the dinks off' has a totally different meaning than what first comes to mind, Muck Boots are a household name, a hand shake still means something and the coffee is always on.

Friday 9 September 2016

From Dealer Dog



Well, my human keeps saying she would like to do some writing, but never seems to get around to it.  I think maybe if I help her get caught up, she'll be able to take off with it again.  Besides, all she is doing is cooking and cooking for the upcoming hunting season, so no consistent work for me.  The food smells pretty amazing, especially the smoked ham!  It's probably a good thing that we finally have running water in the kitchen anyhow, since there always seems to be a mountain of dishes to do with all the cooking lately.   

Grocery shopping for the hunting season.  Just one more store to go to......

We've had a really busy summer with the trail riding, but it's a good thing I don't mind being wet.  I think we've only had 2 or 3 short stretches without rain since that nasty snow in June.  It's been a source of serious stress around here as we simply cannot get the hay up as we should.  My human says we are going to be simply 'landowners' instead of ranchers soon.  I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I have a nasty suspicion there may be a lot of cows for sale.  Not good for me.....I'm a COW DOG!  The humans keep working at it, but I don't think anyone is having much fun. 

Curious Yearlings

We did have a great trail ride season.  I got to fly in an airplane for the first time.  Of course I didn't care, since my human was there, and I was happy to be out on the trail with her again.  Lunch time naps are the best for snuggling!  We had lots of fun, met some great new people and spent time with familiar faces as well.  A good summer.  Despite the miles I put on, I am a bit chubby yet, from all the tasty dishes that are served up there.  I'm still wondering why I never actually get to taste bacon.....just the drippings.  

The majestic Pipe Organ Mountain.  


In between the rides, Bree and I were busy helping my human move cattle around between the ranges.  With our new ranch came a huge new range and we've put on many miles learning it and teaching the cattle where to go.  I have to say, I'm pretty awesome.  I do need to be reminded by my human to slow down a bit, but I've sure learned lots.    

We lost old Picket dog this year.  We all still miss her, especially now that we have to put up with a new puppy.  Rousy is a pain as she is always pulling on my ears and distracting me.  Sometimes I just sit on her.  There also seems to be a new grey ball of fluff running around squeaking.  I think it's a kitten but I don't think it's very smart as it is always running in to doors and walls.  My human calls it "Helmet".  

Well, my human is making noise about taking a load of food to the freezer and catching the mail, so I'd better get a move on.  

Hope this gets my human started writing again, it's hard to type with paws.  

Sincerely,
Dealer Dog    


6 comments:

Kathleen von Kanel said...

I love the way you write,Dealer Dog. Maybe you can just take over for a while to give your owner a break. Heaven knows, she works very hard indeed. You could always avoid having your toenails trimmed so as to use them instead of your flat paws. Should make typing easier.

Marcia said...

So sorry to hear about the hay, am still hoping for some magical weather to come your way and give you some help. On a happier note, I do have to say the trail riding was excellent this summer. I think it was my best ride of the five years I have been riding with you and Wanda. Magnificent scenery, magnificent horses, and hilarious laughter. Thank you, Marcia

Loes said...

Haha. This is a brilliant blog. :)

I remember good old Picket, the bike-a-holic. Once I drove the bike from Six Mile to Four Mile to feed the heifers. It was not until I reached Four Mile when I noticed Picket followed me all the way there, which means he ran for over 15 minutes! All just because he wanted to join me on the bike. On our way back we shares the bike and had good fun.

I keep my fingers crossed for some good weather for you guys.

Cheers from Holland.

Loes

Terra Hatch said...

😊

Terra Hatch said...

I think we were actually quite lucky with the weather for trail riding, and I really did have a fun season. Thank you for your friendship Marcia, you are an exceptional lady.

Terra Hatch said...

Hi Loes! Great to hear from you.
Yes, old Picky did love her quad. She spent more and more time riding it as she got older, but never missed an opportunity.
Thanks for the good wishes for weather as it seems to be working. Got some actual hay baled yesterday (instead of silage) so that's a start.
Cheers!